One Surya Namaskar is a sequence of 10 simple asanas (Yoga postures) performed gracefully. Surya Namaskar is a Sun Salutation that is traditionally performed at dawn facing towards the rising sun. Its roots can be found in the yoga philosophy of Vedic traditions. The routine helps develop all five personality levels, namely physical, prana, mental, intellectual, and spiritual. This helps individuals to lead a very healthy lifestyle with a profound sense of well-being.
Surya Namaskar in a set of ten yoga postures provides good exercise to the whole body, calms the mind, and sharpens the intellect.
- Surya namaskar energizes the entire neuroglandular and neuromuscular system of the body and its regular practice ensures a balanced supply of oxygenated blood and perfect harmony to all the systems of the body thus involves the entire psychosomatic system of human constitution.
- Surya-namaskar is a complete exercise to all the muscles and joints of the body. It tones all the muscles of the body and reduces fat thereby helping to control obesity and metabolism of the body..
- It strengthens the spine and abdominal muscle to control nervous system and activity of the internal organs.
- It expands the rib-cage, increases the capacity of lungs making the breath smooth and easy.
- it activates the glands and regulates the hormone.
- It encourage the lymph drainage thereby increasing the immunity and resistance of the body.
- It increases the circulation of whole body thereby acting as an excellent cardiac workout to enhance the blood circulation and warming up the body.
- It increases concentration, memory, learning and focusing ability and vigilance.
- It is relaxing and rejuvenating, and tension, stress and anxiety melt away as you perform Surya Namaskar.
- Surya Namaskar practice stimulates and conditions virtually every system in the body. It is good for the heart and stimulates the cardiovascular system. It oxygenates the blood and helps strengthen the heart. Surya Namaskar is good for the digestive system and the nervous system. It stimulates the lymphatic system and supports respiratory system health, as well.
- Surya Namaskar is an excellent alternative to caffeine and other stimulants. If you suffer from insomnia or sleep disturbances, you will find practicing Surya Namaskar aids in helping you fall asleep without the need for depressants.
How to do them
Different schools of yoga do Surya Namaskar with slight variations. There are more than 40 forms of Surya Namaskar. This site presents easy to follow instructions and videos on How-to-dos. Use the flyer or poster to print instructions to be used during practice
Resources – Download
SNY Facebook Icon – to share as your Facebook profile picture
SNY Poster – download the poster as a PDF
SNY Flier – download the flier as a PDF
SNY Logsheet – Individual – to make a note of all your Surya Namaskars
SNY Logsheet – Coordinator – to make a note of all your Surya Namaskars
Suryanamaskar Booklet (Explaining how to and benefits)
Yoga Presentation (8mb)
Suryanamaskar Mantra Audio (mp3) (8.5mb)